Dry shampoo can save you behind when:
* Your friend calls you with an invitation to a fantastic event that's starting in half an hour. And you haven't washed your hair in days.
* You can't shower after getting operated.
* Travelling. Especially backpacking through the shower-less wilderness.
* Your shower is broke. Or clogged.
What you can use as a DIY dry shampoo:
- Coco powder (for dark hair !)
- Cosmetic clay (green, white, agar-agar, healing earth)
- Dry algeas
- Potato / corn starch (very absorbent, harder to brush out. Shows on darker hair)
- Oatmeal (blended fine)
- Almond meal
- Cornmeal (it has really large granules, easier to brush out. Yellow, doesn't show on dark hair)
What I don't recommend:
- Baby powder or talc: inhaled, it causes lung problems.
- Baking soda: It's alkaline which means it spoils the pH balance of the scalp and its drying. Use baking soda only for clarifying.
You can mixing the powders to create your favourite mix. For example, coco powder will make flour or starch darker. Combining cornmeal with cornstarch creates a dry shampoo that is very absorbent, but not too hard to brush out.
I recommend putting the mixture into a salt or Parmesan cheese shaker. For a nice scent, add a few drops of essential oil. Tip: add some chickpeas or beans or beads to keep the powder loose and easy to shake out.
How to dry shampoo:
Dab a little on the roots with your fingers, or separate the hair and sprinkle straight on roots. Do all of your scalp. Massage in gently till the hair looks cleaner (if it doesn't, repeat step one). Then brush out the excess. Then flip your hair over and brush again.