Your bra straps: truths and myths








       Bra straps are meant to give only 10% of the support to the breasts (the other 90% of the work being done by the bra band). If the band stays in place, and the cups encircle the breasts correctly, then the function of the straps is only to help to keep it all in place.
      Another bra myth dispelled: you don't need wide bra straps for support. That work should be done by the band ! So go ahead and wear the finest and laciest straps you want to !

HOW TO ADJUST BRA STRAPS

Tighten the bra straps till they are taut. You should be able to pull them up by 1 cm. Not more, not less.

Remember !
  • The straps should not slip off.
  • They should be taut but in no case should they cut into the skin !
  • They should not cause the band to ride up at the back.
  • They should not cause any discomfort, and should not rub on the skin.

      If any of this happens, then your band size and cup size is wrong ! Get them right *here*.

WATCH OUT: STRAPS STRETCH !

     The elastic of the straps stretches over time, with wear and washing. How quick and how much they stretch will depend upon the bra model and the style of the strap.
     So from time to time you will have to tighten your strap a bit, when you find that it is starting to slip off. If you find that you need to tighten the strap but you have reached the maximum capacity of the adjustment, you can cut off a bit of the strap and sew it back on.

TOO TIGHT STRAPS THAT CUT INTO THE SKIN ARE A SURE SIGN OF THE WRONG SIZE BRA !

   Straps cutting into the flesh ? That means that the bra band is too big. It rides up at the back and does not give any support. When that happens the wearer try to compensate for this by tightening the straps. This does not give any support, but does make the bra uncomfortable
   The solution ? Break out of the Bra Matrix.


    In a well fitted bra, you should be able to slide the straps of and the bra should stay in place (even a soft non-padded bra). In fact, the bra should stay in place even if you slide the cup material off the breasts, and then you jump up !





  Next in the series: all about bra strap lenght, width, placement and styles !
Photo by    


Sharing is caring!

ShareThis