- Comb your hair before washing them. This shakes up the dirt a bit, and detangles them,that makes washing easier and the hair is less tangled after it dries. Brush your scalp, to loosen dead skin cells.
- Wet hair with lukewarm or cool water.
- Squeeze out a bit of the shampoo on your palms, rub together. Squeezing the shampoo directly on your head makes it harder to get into all the right spots.
- Apply the shampoo to the roots and scalp. Don't apply it to the rest of the hair, it is enough that the shampoo lather runs through it when you rinse out your hair. The length of the hair doesn't need much shampoo, since it only collects dust; unless you have been using hair products that cause buildup.
- Massage your scalp with the balls of your fingers. Don't use your nails. (that's why I told you to brush your scalp in the beginning, to make this step work better).
- Do not keep on the shampoo for too long.
- Rinse of well, with cool/lukewarm water. By well, I mean do it for around 3 minutes. This is very important !
- Normally you do not need to "repeat as needed". That step only makes sure you use (and buy) more of the product; and might cause static.
ConditioningI do recommend giving some special treatment to hair after shampooing, You can use a conditioner, a hair rinse, or this flax-seed treatment.
- Squeeze the water out of your hair.
- Put a glob of the product on your hand, rub palms together.
- Apply conditioner from the ears downwards. No, it's not supposed to go on your scalp, unless it's specifically a product for the scalp.
- Use your fingers or a comb to spread the conditioner throughout the hair evenly.
- Keep on for as long as it says on the package. Don't overdue it, over-conditioning makes hair heavy and lusterless. ♥ Tip: wrap a towel on your head. The heat helps the conditioner to get in deeper.
- Rinse of well, with cool/lukewarm water. This is important, conditioner residues can lead to limp hair. ♥ Tip: use rainwater for extra softness !
- Do not rub your hair with a towel ! Wrap your hair in the towel and leave on for some minutes
- It's good for the hair to let it dry naturally, instead of using a hair dryer.
- Wait till hair is dry before brushing.
♥ RULE OF THUMB: WHEN IN DOUBT, BE GENTLE
Hair is weak when wet. Treat is as you would a fine, delicate and expensive silk.
♥ All done ? Now, read this. I nearly fell of my chair laughing.
Photo by menteblu61