Since the clusters on my gooseberry bushes have turned an amazing ruby-red, I've been searching for a recipe to make a jam or jelly without cooking. Since I have been eating high raw, the idea of cooking those lovely gooseberries for hours with a bucketful of white sugar made me shudder. So, finally, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a recipe for a raw jam, absolutely no cooking involved ! I found this gem of a recipe in the amazing book Vollwert-Küche. The Ascorbic acid (Vit C) of the red gooseberries acts as a natural conservant. This jam has a light, mousse-y consistency; I love it with pancakes even more than on bread.
The jam is medium-sweet, if you want something sweeter (or something only slightly sweet), I suggest you start with half of the honey recommended, and keep on adding till your taste buds are happy.
Time: 15 minutes
Healthy: yep !
Keeps for: up to 8 weeks in the fridge
You will need:
- 300g Apricots
- 300g red gooseberries
- 500g creamy honey (that means opaque, not the transparent liquid variety) or another sweetener of your choice, such as Agave.
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- A blender
- Sterilized glass jars (put them into boiling water or into an oven at 110°C for 10 minutes. Remember to remove the gum rings !)
- Wash the gooseberries and separate them from their stems.
- Wash the apricots really well, preferably soak them for 15 minutes (they are on the Dirty Dozen !) Cut into halves and remove the kernels.
- Put everything into the blender.
- Blend at high speed for 10 minutes, or till everything is completely blended smooth.
- Pour into sterilised jars, and store in the fridge !