SPIDER VEINS -- WHAT TO AVOID ?
You can protect your skin and keep the capillaries from broadening or breaking by following these guidelines:
UV RAYS BROADEN CAPILLARIES
- Avoid the sun (when you can )
- Use sunscreen
- Choose sunscreen without alcohol denat.* in it (remember, your skin is very delicate !)
- It's worth investing in a sunscreen with IR, that's infra-red protection.
- Solariums are strictly prohibited !
AVOID HEAT AND DRASTIC TEMPERATURE CHANGES:
- Do not allow the face to overheat during exercise
- Do not wash face with hot water
- Protect face from winter cold. Use cream or moisturiser, which will form a barrier to protect it.
- Infrared rays of the sun heat up the skin, that may damage the capillaries. So get a sunscreen with IR
- Avoid alcohol denat.*, it causes the face to warm up, that widens the capillaries.
- Ditto for very hot of spicy food.
- Hot baths and sauna are also not recommended
CAREFUL WITH COSMETICS:
- Avoid alcohol denat* in cosmetics in sunscreen, toners, serums...
- Wash face with products that do not contain soap
- No SLS in soaps and face-wash
- Do not use scrubs !!! They may damage the capillaries. Try Dr Hauschka's press and roll method instead.
- No peel-off masks
- No creams with acids, exept BHA acids.
- Avoid cosmetics with perfume in it. Tip: those meant for sensitive, hypoallergenic or capillary skin are usually perfume-free.
- Try to avoid face creams, washes and make-up removers that are not meant for skin that is sensitive or with spider veins.
- Avoid any type of face mask or treatment that is cooling or warming. Tip: if something contains menthol, it's cooling. Cinnamon is warming.
SPIDER VEIN (TELANGIECTASIAS) TRIGGERS IN FOOD
- Saturated fats
- Thermally hot foods
- Soy sauce
- Spicy foods
- Alcohol especially red wine
- Hot drinks
- Ketchup and mustard
- Vasodilators (medications used to open up blood vessels)
- Topical steroids used on the face
- Standing too long
- Exfoliating with sharp sponges made of synthetic materials
- Very tight trousers (for spider veins on legs)
- High heels (for spider veins on legs)
Photo: Three planes by jamie B