Just any conditioner won´t do, otherwise you´ll end up with limp, oily hair. For conditioner-only washing you need to look for a product that has:
- No film formers : These ingredients can´t be washed off without detergents. They will coat the hair with a thick layer, weighing it down and making the hair dull over time. (ingredients causing product buildup).
- silicon (anything ending with -cone)
- liquid paraffin (aka mineral oil).
- A short & simple ingredient list
- Preferably with glyceryl cocoate, then it works like a gentle shampoo.
- Preferably cheap, since you use more of it you would use if you were using a shampoo.
It can often be hard to find a silicone-free conditioner. I´ve often had more luck with the cheaper products, tucked away into the corner of the bottom shelf.
♥ More info at the long hair community !
Sources: motowngirl, Laboratorium Urody