Is that lead on your lips ?
Many lipsticks have been found to contain lead. As you must know, lead is highly toxic, and dangerous to the body even in tiny amounts.
- Lead accumulates in our bodies, and a typical woman eats about 2 kg of lipstick in a lifetime.
- Lead is accumulated in our body, and even the tiniest amounts are dangerous. Research has shown that there is no "safe" level of lead.
- Lead is absorbed into the body extremely easily.
- Mothers pass lead on into the body of their babies.
- Adding lead to lipstick is not necessary, more than one third of the lipsticks tested had no detectable levels of lead.
- More expensive lipstick brands were not safer. Some of the most contaminated lipsticks were the most expensive. Dior Addict was one of the most contaminated samples, while the Revlon lipstick that contained no detectable lead.
Some of the Brands which contain lead are:
1.. CHRISTIAN DIOR
5. ESTEE LAUDER
7. RED EARTH (Lip Gloss)
8. CHANEL (Lip Conditioner)
9. MARKET AMERICA-MOTNES LIPSTICK.
The top brands testing positive for lead included L'Oréal Colour Riche "True Red," L'Oréal Colour Riche "Classic Wine," Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor "Maximum Red" and Dior Addict "Positive Red,".
L'Oréal Colour Riche "True Red" (0,65 ppm), L'Oréal Colour Riche "Classic Wine" (0,58 ppm),Cover Girl Incredifull Lipcolor "Maximum Red" (0,56 ppm), Moisture Extreme "Cocoa Plum"(Maybelline) and Dior Addict "Positive Red" (0,21 ppm).
After doing a test on lipsticks, it was found that the Y.S.L. lipstick contained the most amount of lead.
Watch out for those lipsticks which are supposed to stay longer. If your lipstick stays longer, it is because of the higher content of lead.
LEAD IN LIPSTICK: A HOAX ?
Some web pages claim that lead in lipsticks was a hoax. However, I have found lots of evidence to the contrary.
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics conducted tests at an independent lab for lead content. In their own words: "The results: 61 percent of lipsticks contained lead, with levels ranging up to 0.65 parts per million. Lead-contaminated brands included L'Oreal, Cover Girl and even a $24 tube of Dior Addict."
Read their full report *here*.
News-medical.net reports that legal action has started against the manufacturer of Dior lipstick over the high amounts of lead.
LEAD FREE LIPSTICKS:In the US it's legal for lipstick to have unlimited amounts of lead, so it's up to the company whether they take care to use ingredients that are not lead-contaminated.
For brands of lead-free lipstics, try the list from Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
Interesting trivia: I've heard that women in Roman times actually used lead oxide on their lips !!!
More on the topic:
- Environment News Service: Red lipstick spreads the lead
- Take Action: Ask the FDA for answers about lead in lipstick
Photo: red dress and blue sky by chrisseserville
Update: this post has been rewritten to include new information.